This is one of the easiest and delicious recipes to make. It may look intimidating but its really simple and tasty.
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Grated lemon zest from 1/2 lemon
- 3 drops of lemon juice
- Sift together the flour and baking powder. Using the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar together on medium-high speed until it becomes thick and lightens in color, 2 to 4 minutes. Beat in the lemon zest and vanilla. Switch to a large rubber spatula and gently fold in the dry ingredients, followed by the melted butter. Cover the batter with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap against the surface to create an airtight seal, and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Place the madeleines pan in the freezer. The point of doing this is that everything needs to be really cold.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C. butter and flour the pan.
- Put around a table spoon of the batter into the pan. Don’t worry about smoothing the batter, it will even out as it bakes.
- Bake madeleines for 11 to 13 minutes or until the cookies are puffed and golden and spring back when touched. Pull the pan from the oven and remove the cookies immediately. Allow the madeleines to cool on a cooling rack. They can be served ever so slightly warm or at room temperature.